We believe language study not only contributes to personal, educational, intellectual and cultural development, it also promotes clear and critical thinking, clarity of expression, cognitive flexibility and problem solving ability. It enhances and provides awareness and understanding of the nature and purpose of language in general and has been shown to have a positive effect on student memory and critical thinking ability. Further, it fosters cross-cultural understanding and develops a respect for people of other languages and cultures.
Our mission as a language school is to make our students independent users of the language they choose to learn. Dictyon offers a student-centered approach to instruction with the instructor at the facilitator’s role. It is expected that students will make mistakes and trial and error are necessary parts of language acquisition. Dictyon’s instructors conduct the classes in a listening-speaking environment providing ample opportunity for student immersion in the target language and its nuances. Our instructors rely on the following key concepts and tools to succeed in their goal:
- Variation of materials and activities to heighten student and instructor interest;
- Careful daily preparation to challenge students and assist efficient assimilation of new material;
- Cultural immersion activities, e.g. organizing special lectures, drills and assignments.
- Continuous monitoring and adjustment to group and individual needs and skills.
- Current, intellectual materials are introduced and used at all levels.
- Combination of formal learning and acquisition methods.
- Commitment to academic curiosity and innovation.
- Functional, yet comfortable and pleasant environment to facilitate the demanding teaching and learning processes; instructor/student interaction, personnel performance, and job satisfaction.