Our Interpretation Department relies upon a rich roster of linguists performing bidirectional, simultaneous and consecutive interpretation both on-site and remotely in 100+ languages. Services are offered in-person, as well as live on-air and telephonically.
Dictyon’s interpreters have worked for a variety of public sector agencies and private organizations at all levels and settings. Since 2008, we have been providing interpretation services on a revolving basis to the District Courts of Maryland, often procuring specialized personnel at a moment’s notice. Interpretation is provided both in-person and over-the-phone in a variety of languages including, but not limited to: Cambodian, Serbo-Croatian, Thai, Korean, Cantonese, Albanian, Italian, Bengali, Polish, Sinhalese, Hindi, Hebrew, Spanish, Armenian, Mongolian, Vietnamese, Hausa, Haitian Creole, Lithuanian, Czech, and Burmese.
Dictyon’s roster of interpreters includes senior linguists having each proven professional expertise and academic background in the identification of language families and groups. Under their guidance and recommendation, specific interpretation projects are assigned to the most qualified linguist(s). Dictyon carefully selects interpreters to match the client’s specific needs and requirements with its personnel’s qualifications and subject-matter expertise (i.e., legal, medical).
To make sure our interpreters have adequate knowledge in diverse areas (finance, legal, science, technology, jargon, etc.), interpreters must pass a language screening exam before being allowed to register. We ensure that interpreters receive a briefing on the nature of their assignment and familiarize themselves with all relevant logistical issues, as well as confidentiality rules, dress code, and any other detail pertaining to the assignment. As the interpreters often work in teams of two, we strive to ensure to schedule compatible interpreters who have proven ability to function as a team. For higher-level and more technical conferences, we also recommend that interpreters meet in advance and coordinate terminology, such as acronyms, initialisms, symbols, etc.
Through our rigorous vetting process, we customarily select professional translators who:
- Are native speakers and thus able to understand all clues and nuances embedded in the spoken and written language
- Have attained a high proficiency level in their working language pair(s) and provide practice-intensive training and testing, if necessary
- Are certified and experienced in their field of expertise
- Are ready to undergo all necessary background check, if required by the services to be delivered
In assigning our personnel to a specific task order, we pay special consideration to:
- Interpreter’s professional portfolio, with particular emphasis on services previously rendered that are similar in nature and scope to the requested assignment
- Interpreter’s past performance rating and/or the quality and caliber of professional recommendations and references
- Interpreter’s commitment to fulfilling all professional obligations for the entire period of performance as stipulated in any awarded contract