Language: Arabic | Level: Beginner | Course Length: 10 weeks | Location: Arlington, VA
Start Date: 10/13/2014 | Time: 7:00 pm to 9:30 pm on Mondays.
Registration Fee: $30.00
This course requires no previous knowledge of Arabic. Classes meet at Dictyon once a week for 2.5 hours. Each session is divided into three 50-minute instruction periods. In Arabic 101 emphasis is placed on pronunciation, familiarization with the Arabic alphabet, high-frequency vocabulary building, basic grammar, and conversation. Reading and listening materials, conversations and lectures have been selected to reflect life in the broad Middle Eastern region today.
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- Produce and understand short, memorized phrases
- Ask questions or make statements with reasonable accuracy using memorized utterances
- Read isolated words and phrases, personal and place names, street signs, office and shop designations
- Write own name, nationality, address, etc., such as on a hotel registration form
Maximum Group Size
As with all our classes, in order to maximize our student’s learning experience the maximum number of students per group is limited to 5.
*You can cancel your class registration for a full refund up to 5 days prior to the class start date.
If you cancel between 4 and 1 days prior to the class start date, we will retain the $30 registration fee and refund the remaining amount.
No refunds will be issued after 1 day prior to class start date.
- Alif Baa: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds [With DVD] (Arabic) Paperback – July 1, 2010; Indicative (amazon.com) price: $38.10
- Al-Kitaab fii Tacallum alcArabiyya with DVDs, Second Edition: Al-Kitaab fii Ta allum al… by Kristen Brustad, Abbas Al-Tonsi and Mahmoud Al-Batal (Jul 1, 2007); Indicative (amazon.com) price: $42.96